Bilingual attorneys offering guidance through a range of legal challenges affecting both citizens and immigrants

How can I obtain a green card to work in the United States?

Many people from all over the world choose to come to the United States to further their careers. Even if you are not a citizen, you can legally live and work in the United States if you obtain your green card and become a lawful permanent resident. There are five categories of preference for employment-based (EB) visas:

  • EB-1: Priority workers with extraordinary abilities.
  • EB-2: Workers with advanced degrees.
  • EB-3: Skilled workers and professionals who do not qualify under EB-1 and EB-2.
  • EB-4: Special immigrants (e.g., religious workers, broadcasters, or armed forces members).
  • EB-5: Entrepreneurs (Immigrant Investor Program).

What is the process required to obtain an employment-based green card?

The entire green card application process can take years to get through, depending on demand and other factors. The green card application process for those seeking an employment-based green card generally requires three main steps:

  • Permanent Labor Certification (PERM): If you have been offered a job in the United States, your employer will essentially have to prove that the company tried to find a qualified person for the job in the United States but was unable to find anyone.
  • Form I-140: Your employer will then file a Form I-140, the immigration petition, to verify the job requirements listed on the application and that it is able to pay you the wages offered to you.
  • Form I-485: You will fill out an I-485 application, the application to register for permanent residence.

If the USCIS approves your application, you could receive a green card that lasts for 10 years. If you want to work in the United States on an EB visa, consider consulting with an immigration attorney in Virginia as soon as possible.

Skip to content